Health and Safety Representatives Initial (SafeWork NSW Approved)
Why Choose This Course
The purpose of this course is for you to acquire the knowledge and skills required to enable you to exercise your new powers and fulfil your role for the purpose of promoting and ensuring the health and safety at work of members of your work group. The course meets the requirements for elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and deputy HSRs under the WHS Act 2011.
This course is for Elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSR) and Elected Deputy Health and Safety Representatives (Deputy HSR) under the WHS Act 2011 who have requested approved training.
Note: section 72 of the WHS Act 2011 entitles a HSR to attend an initial course of training in work health and safety after being elected. The HSR in consultation with their employer also has the right to choose the course of training they attend.
This course is designed for anyone elected a Health and Safety Representative within the State jurisdiction of NSW
Photo ID must presented to the trainer at the commencement of the course, as per SafeWork NSW Conditions of Approval.
FSA Entry Requirements:
- Fitness to participate
Sufficient language, literacy and numeracy skills to complete the course
The course content covers:
- WHS Act 2011 legislative framework
- Duties and responsibilities of PCBUS, officers, workers and other parties under the legislation
- The nature of the consultation process with workers as required of the primary PCBU by the Act
- The purpose and formation of a workgroup within the workplace
- Health & Safety Committees (HSCs)
- The entitlements, rights and protections of an elected HSR / Deputy HSR
- Using negotiation, communication and problem solving skills and strategies as a HSR to represent a workgroup and to resolve WHS issues
- Risk management and the use of risk controls, including the duties and responsibilities of various PC8Us under the legislation
- How HSRs can contribute to risk management in the workplace
- Provisional Improvement Notices (PIN) and the right to cease, or direct the cessation of unsafe work
This course is delivered by NSCA.
1-20 face to face training / 1-10 Connected delivery (remote)
5 Days: Note this course must be completed within 6 months of course commencement
Onsite or at our training facility
Public and corporate course available in NSW
Book This Course
Corporate training packages
Would you like group training for your employees? Click here to enquire and we will contact you, or call 1300 88 55 30 so we can tailor a training course for your organisation.
Access to FSA’s dedicated customer support.
Qualified and experience trainers.
On successful completion of the training you will receive a Statement of Attainment for the units of competency listed above or a Certificate of Attendance for non-accredited training.
This course will benefit various careers including:
- Work Health and Safety Manager
- Workplace Manager
- Floor Manager
- Department Manager
- HR Manager
- Safety Practitioner
- Supervisor or management position in certain industries
- Security Officers
- Building Managers
- Office Managers
- Hotel or Restaurant Managers
- Safety & Emergency Managers
- Education Professionals
- Team Leaders
- National Accreditation and ISO9001-2015 Quality Accreditation
- Our Experience
- Flexibility and Clients First
- We Deliver What We Say We Will
Find out more on our Why Choose FSA page.
- Parking is available on site
- Tea & coffee is provided
- What to wear: Closed toe shoes and clothing that may get dirty
- What to bring: Pen and paper
Payment Methods: All credit cards, direct deposit, cheque or cash are accepted. We also offer payment instalments.
Can we combine various courses or multiple staff members into a training package? Yes companies can add other FSA courses into a training package, or enrol multiple attendees to save money.
Contact us via the enquiry form below for more information.
- 2 business day “cooling off period”
- More than 5 business days - no charge
- 5 business days or less - 50% of course fee
- 24 hours from start time - no refund
- 2 business day “cooling off period”
- Transferred / cancelled more than 5 business days prior to course date - no charge
- Transferred / cancelled 5 business days or less prior to course date - 50% of course fee
- Transferred / cancelled 24 hours from start time - no refund / full course charge
When transferring an enrolment from one course date to another the following charges will apply:
- Transferred 5 business days prior to course date - no charge
- Transferred 5 business days or less prior to course date - 50% of course fee
- Transferred 24 hours from start time - no refund / full course charge
- Name changes to the booked course - 5 business days or less prior to the course date will incur a $50.00 + GST fee per name change
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information
Find Course Dates And Enrol
⇓ Use this option to choose your preferred state.
Contact us to learn more
Gain practical skills, earn nationally recognised qualifications and open up more job opportunities. Our courses are valued by companies and organisations across Australia. You may also be able to earn credit towards a university degree in some courses.
Contact our experienced Course Advisors to discuss more about this course or discover other courses that will suit you.